Are you getting a bunch of unwanted pop ups or a fake antivirus? Sometimes these can be resolved on your own with a simple scan so you can try this before you spend money to clean up an infection.
Save it to your Desktop.
- Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install
- When the installation starts, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
- When installation has finished, make sure you have both of these options checked:
- Update Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware
- Launch Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware
- Then click Finish
Here’s a quick video for you visual learners
Malwarebytes should automatically start if you followed the previous steps exactly.
- If an update is found, the program will automatically update
- Press the OK button to continue.
On the Scanner tab:
- Make sure the “Perform Full Scan” option is selected.
- Then click on the Scan button.
- If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
- The scan will begin and “Scan in progress” will show at the top.
It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
- When the scan is finished, a message box will say “The scan completed successfully”
- Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal.
- Click the Show Results button to see a list of malware that was found.
- Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
- When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
- The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
Notes: You may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the process. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent you from removing all infections.
MBAM may need to make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection. If you’re using other security programs that detect registry changes (like Spybot S&D), they may interfere with alerts when attempting to make fixes. Please disable these types of programs until disinfection is complete or permit them to allow the changes.